Monday, June 6, 2011

Bullies are Bad.

So my precious daughter (The Miss) and I were talking, and she told me about this friend of hers- he has issues with walking and uses a wheelchair to get around. Anyways, there's some kids at her school who are just brats and they have been giving this lovely kid trouble. 


Now the poor kid being picked on (please don't get me wrong- I'm not saying he's a poor kid because he's in a wheelchair- I say it because he's being bullied and picked on- the fact he's in a wheelchair just doesn't compute) isn't saying anything because he doesn't want more trouble from these kids I assume. 


It is a sad world when people bully others- particularly others who can't really defend themselves as adeptly as they can- and I told my daughter this in no uncertain terms. This kind of behaviour is left to go on and on, and it only gets worse. 


I'll keep encouraging The Miss to get her friends to stand up to these two bullies- because bullying is NOT okay under any circumstances. Their stunt could have hurt The Miss' friend badly if they'd miscalculated their stupidity, or damaged his wheelchair elsewise- just who would pay for it if they had broken something? 

Violence is unnecessary, and should be discouraged in our youth- teach them how to channel it to useful endeavours- not the destruction of people, property and in some cases themselves. It is those who are most insecure who need to victimize others in order to make themselves feel superior- and in some ways I feel sorry for those people- but you know what? We all make choices, and sometimes they're good- and sometimes they're bad...but we have free will- and I'm sure these kids understand the differences between right and wrong. 


I just hope that they get help before it escalates into something that cannot be forgiven. 


I encourage anyone with issues regarding bullying to talk to a teacher, a friend, a parent- anyone who can listen and help you. It is not funny, its dangerous and can end very badly- you must keep yourself, and your friends safe. If you love them- you must speak out! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Thyri,

    Thanks for posting a comment on my blog, it brought me to your timely post! I am very concerned about the bullying that Loopy and her friends have seen at school. I think the older girls (16 and 17) are just now learning to stand up against bullying when they see it. It takes an entire group... there is courage in numbers. I wish them good luck.

    About the red and black sprinkles... do you know that you can make your own? I'll try to whip some up today and do a little tutorial for my blog and you'll be set.

    xoxo
    Saucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting Saucy! I'm honored you swung by! As you can tell, I'm just starting out on my blogging journey- I will be doing some more tutorials soon- I've got a few fun things planned :)

    I'll look forward to seeing your tutorial on making sprinkles- I'm quite intrigued!!

    Bullying is a big thing that parents need to talk to their kids about- stopping it starts at home, and we need to be aware of whats going on in our kids lives when it comes to the big things- so I've found talking to the Miss and her friends about the small things opens up the channels for them to talk to me about things that might be bothering them. Its a part of parenting that I love- guiding, teaching our youth the right way is important!

    ReplyDelete